I was elected Moderator 31 March 2015 and stepped down early October 2019.
Remember that all models are wrong; the practical question is how wrong do they have to be to not be useful
-- George Box & Norman R. Draper, Empirical Model-Building and Response Surfaces
Far better an approximate answer to the right question, which is often vague, than an exact answer to the wrong question, which can always be made precise.
-- John Tukey, The future of data analysis. Ann. Math. Stat. 33 (1), (1962)
It is no more appropriate to tailor a course to the desires of the student than it is to modify the driving test according to the wishes of learner drivers.
-- Stephen Senn, On thinking and learning. RSS News, December 2007
Hard to find data queries: bountiful
incl Ansbody, excl tags title & Qbody - http://data.stackexchange.com/stats/query/669089
toask - av mean/median qu
I'm right here
Member for 9 years, 3 months
1,146 profile views
Last seen Nov 8 at 22:40
- Cross Validated 227.7k 227.7k 2323 gold badges457457 silver badges808808 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 6.5k 6.5k 11 gold badge2929 silver badges4141 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 3.2k 3.2k 11 gold badge1313 silver badges2222 bronze badges
- Mathematics 2.1k 2.1k 1313 silver badges2424 bronze badges
- Role-playing Games 1.9k 1.9k 1111 silver badges1616 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 296 How to interpret a QQ plot
- 163 Assessing approximate distribution of data based on a histogram
- 130 Firing mods and forced relicensing: is Stack Exchange still interested in cooperating with the community?
- 124 Select multiple elements from a list
- 90 Why is ridge regression called "ridge", why is it needed, and what happens when $\lambda$ goes to infinity?
- 87 How should tiny $p$-values be reported? (and why does R put a minimum on 2.22e-16?)
- 87 Shape of confidence interval for predicted values in linear regression
- View more network posts →