I was elected Moderator 31 March 2015 and stepped down early October 2019.
Remember that all models are wrong; the practical question is how wrong do they have to be to not be useful
-- George Box & Norman R. Draper, Empirical Model-Building and Response Surfaces
Far better an approximate answer to the right question, which is often vague, than an exact answer to the wrong question, which can always be made precise.
-- John Tukey, The future of data analysis. Ann. Math. Stat. 33 (1), (1962)
It is no more appropriate to tailor a course to the desires of the student than it is to modify the driving test according to the wishes of learner drivers.
-- Stephen Senn, On thinking and learning. RSS News, December 2007
Hard to find data queries: bountiful
incl Ansbody, excl tags title & Qbody - http://data.stackexchange.com/stats/query/669089
toask - av mean/median qu
I'm right here
Member for 10 years, 11 months
1,309 profile views
Last seen Jul 21 at 4:24
- Cross Validated 249k 249k 2828 gold badges525525 silver badges902902 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 7.2k 7.2k 11 gold badge3232 silver badges4545 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 5.9k 5.9k 22 gold badges1717 silver badges2525 bronze badges
- Mathematics 2.2k 2.2k 1515 silver badges2626 bronze badges
- Role-playing Games 2k 2k 1414 silver badges1818 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 359 How to interpret a QQ plot
- 173 Assessing approximate distribution of data based on a histogram
- 150 Select multiple elements from a list
- 133 Firing mods and forced relicensing: is Stack Exchange still interested in cooperating with the community?
- 114 The company’s commitment to rebuilding the relationship with you, our community
- 107 Why is ridge regression called "ridge", why is it needed, and what happens when $\lambda$ goes to infinity?
- 103 Shape of confidence interval for predicted values in linear regression
- View more network posts →