There are several questions that request analytical solutions of statistical problems, and there are answers that give nicely derived equations using mathematical calculus. These are however not currently distinguished, so I propose the
Why is it useful?
- This new tag could complement the existing
numericstag and distinguish between questions that are opinions, collections, applications of well known methods, or numerical approximations – and symbolic, theoretical answers.
- There are questions that explicitly ask for deriving formulas.
- Some questions received both analytical and numerical solutions or numerical approximations as answers. Reading through multiple numerical solutions may give the key idea to solving a new problem. The same applies to this tag, reviewing calculus used in statistical problems may give examples, hints or solutions.
- Some users are outstandingly active in deriving statistical formulas in their answers. Now they only receive reputation scores, but the new tag would honour their efforts with tag-badges, too.
Alternatives: the above or similar goals can be achieved using other similar tag names, possible words include analytical, algebraic, symbolic, formal, mathematical, calculus, derivation, formula, equation.
A few answers to potential criticisms: It is OK to use a relevant tag to couple the question and answer together. This is not intended to be used as a meta tag (tags that do not describe the content of the question, rather some other aspect of the question, like the author’s skill level, or the author’s motivation for asking it, or generally what “kind” of question it is (poll, how-to, etc.)), but where the application of the specific method of algebra/calculus to statistical formulas is a key to get to the answer.
I ask for opinions
- how the description of this tag should be compactly worded
- what should it cover and what shouldn't it cover
- if there is a better expression than
StackExchange is not static, so tags evolve even after a good amount of usage, but a good working definition will help launching the new tag.