Sometimes maths seems to have strange and squashed spacing, but the problem is intermittent. For example, this is what Fitting a fixed, exponential relationship between categories with categorical data looked like for a while on Chrome today: alt text http://robjhyndman.com/Untitled.png But a few minutes later it looked fine. Is this a known problem and is someone working on it?
This morning I had the same problem in chrome for this answer, I checked and the tex did render correctly in IE version 8 (although I was surprised how much slower it was in IE than in Chrome, alot slower).
I see this problem with Chrome 14.0.835.186 on Ubuntu 11.04 (classic mode).
Today is the first time it has occurred, but when it did, only one of two uses of
\sum() had smushed brackets (see below). The question Calculating likelihood from RMSE (I edited the first equation to
\sum\left(...\right) thinking it would help, but it didn't).
I'm not getting any equations at the moment. I see the TeX code for a few seconds, then this (Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows XP):
A "Failed to load" message appears in the bottom left corner of the screen, but goes away before i have time to read or capture it. It was ok earlier today (i have restarted my PC since then though).
UPDATE: Just rebooted my PC as I was having another, apparently unrelated, internet problem too (failing to contact the proxy server). It fixed that problem, but not this TeX display one.
2ND UPDATE (Following morning): It's OK now.